The mission experience is a parallel example of our earthly experience. By that I mean, that leaving our heavenly parents and coming to earth parallels the experience of leaving our earthly family and going on a mission. The missionaries even call their arrival day as the day they were "born" and describe themselves as getting "old" and "dying" when they complete their service.
Yesterday completed the two year period for five of our missionaries even though only three went home on that day. This would have been the completion date for Elder Walker's mission if not for his tragic death and the fifth elder was sent home early as a result of severe disobedience that resulted in a church court and disciplinary action. I'm sure you can understand that the wide variety of circumstances in which these 5 young men left their missions has resulted in a very wide range of emotions for us, however, that is not the topic of this blog.
The contrast in their circumstances does not end with how they served their missions or how their missions were completed but includes what they were returning to - again "the other side of the coin". Let me describe the scenario of the three elders who returned home yesterday.
| Elder Talbert's last day in May Pen |
The president then returned to the mission home and loaded-up Elder Lee and Elder Allen, two of our Jamaican elders, to drive them home at the conclusion of their missions. I had asked the president if I could accompany them as I needed to pick-up some computer equipment in Lucea and I would drive the nine hours round trip so he could have a break. He readily agreed so I got to travel "home" with the two elders. Here their homecoming stories deviate from Elder Talbert's and the returning missionary scenario with which you are probably familiar.
| Elder Lee at May Pen Burger King |
| Elder Allen delivering a spiritual thought at dinner in Kingston |
Elder Allen invited Elder Lee to live with him for a while, which will give the two of them a support system both in the church and in getting established in the real world of Jamaica. I gave the two of them a little money as we departed - it wasn't much but would have been the equivalent of one and a half days wage at Elder Allen's former job. Elder Allen has a girl friend that is currently going to school in Kingston and he is anxious to get back to Kingston to take her to a dinner the YSA is having next Saturday. I told him he could use the money for bus fare to the dance if he didn't need it for other necessities - such as food. He smiled and said, "I can miss a lot of food to get to go to the party!"
Elder and Sister Anderson, our CES couple, will visit with these two elders next week to talk about PEF (Perpetual Education Fund). However Elder Lee is currently not a candidate unless he can get some kind of high school equivalent certificate.
As we rode together we talked a great deal about the future and what could be ahead for them. With Elder Lee we tried to correlate his feelings of uncertainty in going on a mission with his current feelings as he now faces a new chapter in his life and how he has overcome many obstacles in his mission and how he would be able to do the same now. We had a wonderful time together and I am grateful for this experience I had with them. I hope that I was able to help them in some small way both monetarily and emotionally and that we might be able to provide additional help in the future. They are wonderful young men who have served well and prospered in their missionary service, but they are also young men whose "other side of the coin" is not as shiny and bright as the returning missionaries with whom you are familiar.
Elder & Sister Schaefermeyer,
ReplyDeleteThank you for your insights on these wonderful young men. I am the mother of another "aging" young missionary in Jamaica, and your comments were very touching. I have followed Elder Talbert's blog for some time, and though he doesn't know me, I feel like I've gotten to know him a little. Living in Jamaica has certainly expanded the world of our son, and thereby, expanded our own world. Thank you for all the service you provide to these wonderful people!
--Marilyn Huffaker
Lewiston, Idaho
That was so nice to read about the "other" life of a missionary. We appreciate your thoughts and pictures. Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDelete--Rollin & Tami Gardner