Elder Walker's family has decided to conduct his funeral (at some later date) so the mission is planning a memorial service for tomorrow (Monday) in Spanish Town at 11:00. I have been asked to lead a chorus of missionaries in a hymn during the service and have decided to do a modified version of Called to Serve. With a few tempo changes and slight melody modifications I think it will work well to bear testimony of Elder Walker being Called (home) to Serve.
Today I sang Consider the Lilies in our Sacrament meeting. I downloaded an accompaniment on my Ipod and played it through the sound system. I was fairly sure that the song was not familiar to the members here in Jamaica so I spoke briefly about the scriptural reference (Matthew 6) and about our lives being under God's direction. The surprising thing is that I actually got through the song without getting choked-up. Elder Luke (Elder Walker's companion) was in the congregation and I worked hard not to look at him which helped. I would like to sing it at the memorial service but I don't know if I could get through it there.
Last Wednesday, Shanna (that would be Sister Schaefermeyer) and I met Elder and Sister Herbert and two of the Elders at a member's home in Spanish Town to deliver a Wheelchair. This member had a chair with wheels that were so badly misshapen that is looked like they were the original wheels carved by the cave man. Needles to say, he was thrilled with his new all terrain Rough Rider chair. What a difference it will make in his life. He still needs some help in making the access to his front yard accessible from the street but I think the branch is going to do a service project.
When we returned to the mission office I mentioned to President Hendricks that I had taken the opportunity to speak with the two elders about the how they were doing emotionally with the death. I told him that they confided that they had lost some of the sense of security that they had felt previously - which is to be expected. President asked me the names of the two elders, since there are two companionships in Spanish Town and I told him I couldn't recall the names. He then asked if one of the elder was black and I confirmed that No, they were both white. I then called to Shanna about their names and she came in his office and said she though one of them was elder Roberts. When the president asked if one was black she confirmed that No, they were both white. The president said, "Okay, well it isn't elder Roberts." We remembered that we had taken some pictures so we turned on the camera and showed him a pictures of the elders - - Yep it was Elder Roberts, - - and yes, he is black.
| Elder Roberts and Elder Poulson |
We all had a good laugh about it but we found it interesting how color blind we had become serving here in Jamaica for the past 10 months. Certainly our perception has changed but there is something that bothers me about the experience- - we said they were both white. I wonder if this would have happened at the end of our mission, would we have said that they were both black? Only then would I believe that I had the proper perception of what it mean to be color blind.
| Elder Herbert Poulson George Blackwood Sister Herbert and Elder Roberts |
Hi, my name is Jesika Gardiner, and I am the sister of Elder Justin Gardner who is serving in the Jamaica Kingston Mission. He sent me your blog address in his last email, and I have loved reading about your experiences in Jamaica. I would like to express my deepest sorrow and sympathy for the loss of Elder Walker. Please know that the whole mission and all the missionaries are in my prayers. Please tell Elder Gardner that I said hello if you see him. Keep him out of trouble as well. I would love to hear from you if you have time, my email address is jesikagardner@hotmail.com
ReplyDeleteMy blog is private, so I can add you if you would like.
My name is Jennifer Luke and I'm Elder Luke's sister. I wanted to express my deepest gratitude to the both of you for being there to comfort my brother when our family could not. Thank you for sharing your blog with us and emailing us to let us know how Elder Luke is coping. You are an answer to our prayers.
ReplyDelete